Thursday, August 11, 2005

Mad

This is so stupid. And its not even my fault. One of the paralegals who I will call 90210 girl since her wardrobe is straight out of that tv show was going bonkers last week because she was juggling ten things at once. One of the things she was stressing over was this short she made during the summer and she wanted to send it to her parents in Ottawa. Anyways her brother was heading to Ottawa but couldn't come by to pick her up.

Here's a little back story about 90210 girl. She just finished her degree at the Tisch school of the arts at NYU. Or as it is called among the clague the Tisch school of bartending and waiteressing.

Anyway being a film student means she is a bulsh*t artist. She was amusing to us because she would always talk about the film industry and had the inside scoop to everything. But it was really annoying because she was always talking down to us whenever film or tv came up in our conversation. She always seemed to know what the real deal of what was going on in the film world. I think what really annoyed me about her was that she would throw in some french whenever she talked to me and when I didn't understand it she would act shocked and act dissappointed that because I did not learn it in private school. when word got around the office about my trustfund thanks to the lawyer biatch who hired me, she would make snide comments about me shopping for new guccis or if I had found a husband yet.

Anyways for the past couple of weeks she kept talking up about her film short and making a big deal how this was going to get her into Sundance and that she was in talks with William Morris and CAA to represent her. Anyways the film gets done and she wants to send a copy to her parents. So the plan was to have her brother pick it up but he gets tied up at work and won't be able to come by or else he will miss the flight.

I don't why I did this. Maybe its because I wanted to be liked. Maybe it is because I want to get along but I offer to help out by arranging for a messenger for her. She is thankful and I call up the messenger to pick up the dvd.

Big mistake.

The messenger comes on time picks up the package and I think everything is alright. I take off for lunch and when I come back 90210 girl is waiting for me surrounded by the other paralegals. They all look like I just drowned some kittens in maple syrup.

In a low but ripping voice, 90210 girl proceeds to tear me a new one saying that the dvd arrived too late and that her brother could not get it in time. She told it was my fault. Now it was very hot that day and I had just fought a mob of tourists to get a soup and the last thing I wanted to deal with was her skanky french ass so I chose to walk away and I sat down to eat. As I am eating they all crowd around me and 90210 girl contiuned to rip into me. I try to ignore her but she starts throwing in barbs about me being a spoiled brat and that if I didn't have daddy's money I would be nothing. Y'know. Stuff that I usally get in comments. When I heard that I was about throw my soup into her face and then stomp on her burning face. Instead I tell her its not my fault and that I called the messenger and it was the messenger's responsibility to take careof the delivery. 90210 girl keeps telling me it was my responsibility. I am on the verge of ripping off her head and shoving it up her ass.

Ok. I am a f**k up at times. I admit it. And yes, I try to take the easy way out. But when it comes to things that are not my fault and I am blamed for it then I get pissed. So I start screaming at her its not my fault.

We ended up getting into this huge screaming match and one of the lawyers come out screaming for us to shut up. So we quit it. And I think that is the end.

At the end of the day I get called in by the lawyer in charge and she rips me a new one for disrutping the office and I am like its not my fault. 90201 girl started it. The lawyer doesn't care. I am the one who started to screaming so its my fault. I try to explain the situation but she cuts me off. She tells me my intership is over soon and she doesn't want anymore grief and if anything does happen it's my ass.

I am shaking with such rage. This has been the hardest thing to write about. I feel helpless and there is nothing I can do about it. So now its a waiting game.

I don't want to go back. I don't want to deal with this bulls**t. Please just leave me alone.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving us the scoop, PP. Hang in there and gut it out. I think that this summer has definitely taught you some important things about the working world and what it's like to be in an office, and that's stuff you can't learn in school. But a lot of the lessons are no fun to learn.

One suggestion: in a moment of calm, sit down and write a letter (not an email) to the paralegal in question telling her that you are sorry that the DVD did not make it to its rightful place on time, and that you had done everything in your power to make it happen. You're not apologizing, but you are telling her that you understand why she's upset. It might be a good way to get some closure and help you feel better about the screaming match.

One more piece of advice: one of the HARDEST things to learn is how to control yourself in an office environment. It's really tough and can take years of practice. As you can probably tell, screaming fights are not smiled upon in the office, so whatever you can do to avoid them in the future, do it.

And remember, lots of us are pulling for you.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why is she using office $$ and resources to send out personal materials? she should be fired for that, dude. tell the twat to go fuck herself, then report her to the HR people for misues of office resources...........

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant idea Ole. Slug a coworker in front of several witnesses. Not only will that get you fired, that will get you thrown in jail and could put a pretty big drain on your trust-fund as well.

PP, I'll be honest. I don't like you. I think you're spoiled and not that intelligent as indicated by the level of your writing. But you are absolutely right in this instance. You tried to help someone out for no other reason than to be helpful and they turned on you. But violence or screaming is not the answer.

First, point out to her that had you done nothing, the copy still would not have gotten to her brother. It still may not have gotten there, but at least you tried to help. Its not like you made a bad situation worse.

Second, you should have complained to the parter to begin with that this woman was being abusive to you and all because you tried to help her. Explaining this is in calm manner before any awful public incident goes a lot farther than trying to defend yourself after a screaming match.

Third, why don't you just quit now? You seem to be miserable, it seems like everyone else hates you, and there's a lot of people out there that would love the chance you got. Why not do another good deed and give someone else a chance by leaving?

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PP, if you want to be a lawyer, you have to learn how to act and think like a man or you will never make it in the law firm culture. You need to develop a much thicker skin. In this case, you should tell the girl that if the dvd was so important, she should have mailed it to her parents or her brother beforehand. The fact that she didn't is her own fault and has nothing to do with you or your trust fund. The fact that everyone throws that in your face shows you that this is not about the dvd.

You have to learn to think of your wealth as a handicap, something to overcome in the minds of your co-workers. Even if you don't reveal its existence, people will always figure it out eventually. That being said, never mention it or confirm it.

I am just like you (or what you claim to be), I am an attorney in NYC with a trust fund (rich dad with his own island kind of thing). It took me a while to realize that from day 1 the other attorneys in the office expected a diva/princess attitude from me (as my father also helped secure my position). Once I realized the assumption, I made sure NEVER to get attitude with anyone in the office, to always say please and thank you, always to offer help whenever someone needed it, be quick to volunteer for late night/weekend projects, to never be late, to always ask about everybody else's weekends/boyfriends/new clothes, to not draw too much attention to the fact that I just bought a new purse that cost as much as what they earn in 2 weeks, that I spent the weekend in Paris or at the island and just generally be as gracious and warm as possible.

It took a year or so, but people slowly began to accept that I wasn't the diva/princess they expected. The net effect of this is that nobody feels that I am throwing anything in their faces and they see that I generally care about them. In their minds, this is in-spite of my rich-daddy status. After two years, I started getting invited to barbecues in the Bronx with paralegals' families and baby showers in Brooklyn (where everyone gets a ride in my convertible Lexus SC). I am now considered part of the firm "family" and I don't feel like people are just looking for an excuse to fire me after they have sufficiently humored my father and his request for my job.

I hope this means anything to you.

PS, I did Kaplan in 1997 with the private tutoring sessions and it bumbed my score from a 150 in the preliminary testing to a 160 on the actual test.

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah, I would've rather had her knock you a good one, though. /pun knock some sense into you /end lame pun.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truth is, without your daddy's money you WOULD'NT be anything. Hell, you aren't anything now...Just a fat ass who can't deal with life as a poor little rich girl.

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem have to forgotten about PP's bloggy-blog for several months, somehow. Somehow, it doesn't seem to matter. Did I miss anything, Ole ?

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, my grammar is atrocious. I actually read through the archives.
It appears to be PP, you, and a lot of people who take the blog seriously. I'm not even sure if I have it in me anymore to rag on PP anymore... her serious-like readers are way more annoying and less fun than she is.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whatever, my first gig i had to connect my asshole boss with like three british people on cell phones and I'd drop them all off by mistake. I also got shit for cars not arriving on time or for messengers being late. Bottom line, these people are spoiled idiots who are used to having things their way and can't handle it if something goes wrong. The chick sounds like she was angry and emotional b/c her movie didn't make it home. Tell her she's acting like a baby and to grow up. She can fedex the shit and it would've been cheaper than having it messengered over.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home