Saturday, July 23, 2005

In bed again

I had to go to the dentist this morning to get my tooth filled from the root canal. Then the dentist told me that I had five cavaties. It was a very painful morning. I have been recovering in my bed at home. My parents's home that is. Ever since I had the root canal Mom has been very protective of my teeth. I am a 21 year old girl and I have to have to be accompanied by my mother to the dentist. Pathetic.

So hear I am in my old bedroom back in my parents place. Mom brought me back here since I was still in novocaine shock and she was worried about me. So I have been drifitng in and out of sleep and watching tv. My Mom thinks getting fillings is a form of minor surgery. Combined with the drugs and the drilling you need your body to recovery. I have to agree. I am under the covers in my unmentionables. I just realize I don't have an extra pair.

My room is pretty much the same. There are some old posters of the Smiths. The BS got me into that. And there is a WDRE sticker on my dresser mirror that she gave me.I was so young but I thought I was mature when I got that. I should save that since WDRE no longer exists. I heard WDRE turned into WLIR and now its a Mexican music station. Its scary how things change. It is a tragedy since alternative radio is probably the only good thing that has come out of Long Island.

Being in my room I realize there is no such thing as immortality. We are like all just sitting around in our underwear until the end. After that you are forgotten.

When I was flipping the channels and saw Sandra Day O'Connor reading a poem. It really freaked me out. I found it online


Sometime, when you're feeling important,
Sometime, when your ego's in bloom,
Sometime, when you take it for granted,
You're the best qualified in the room;

Sometime when you feel that you're going,
Would leave an unfillable hole,
Just follow this simple instruction,
And see how it humbles your soul.

Take a bucket and fill it with water,
Put your hand in it up to the wrist.
Pull it out, and the hole that's remaining,
Is a measure of how you'll be missed.

You may splash all you please when you enter,
You can stir up the water galore,
But stop, and you'll find in a minute,
That it looks quite the same as before.

The moral in this quaint example
Is do just the best that you can,
Be proud of yourself, but remember,
There is no indispensable man.

This is a former Supremem Court Justice reading this poem. I am not a law genius but I know enough these are the most powerful people in the land. And she is reading this.

Sometimes I wonder what the point is in all of this. I can only imagine how the Djs felt when they heard they would be going to a Mexican format.

Parents are out. I am alone in my room. Feels like high school.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell that to Salk or Franklin or Lincoln and they might have disagreed with that cutsey poem

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand how she's graduated college if she's only 21. It sounds like she graduated a year ago. Anyone know?

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I know you don't get any credit for this, but you are a really great writer. The concepts are all there. Keep it up.

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home