Monday, April 25, 2005

The Passover Jews

Last year my sister and my brother in law were with the rest of the family for passover. Now this year they are going to celebrate passover at her in laws. They trade off each year. When I was in college I had an excuse not to attend since I was on the west coast and my sister took my place.

I thought we were going to go to Connecticut but we ended up at some distant relatives home in Queens that I hadn't seen since my bat mitzvah. These people were not ordinary Jews. They were Passover Jews. I mean men with black hats and women wearing wigs.

Matzoh, matzoh and more matzoh. It never ends. It wasn't the store bought brand since they said it was homemade but I think it was made from the first passover because it was hard and nasty. They actually measured how matzoh was required for the Seder. The homemade matzoh actually cost 20 bucks a pound. They could have gotten like a couple of boxes of garlic, cinnamon and egg matzoh for that price.

When they asked me what I was doing I told them I was working as an intern at a law office. They were quite impressed, one of them asked if I was going to join the family business. I was like I am not sure yet.

It was kind of weird, in a good way. People treat you differently when you are working. You are like part of some club. The high point of the evening was Dad commenting that I would make a great lawyer.

We left 2:30am but the ride home was a bit rocky. Dad was asking if I had looked at the LSATS. I said I was thinking about it. He kept pressing me to go to law school. I was like I had to think about it and I wasn't sure. Besides I had time.

Then he started to go on about how time moved so fast. Mom pretended to by asleep.
This all gave me flashbacks to the letter he wrote me.

Dad dropped me off and I kissed everyone goodnight.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do not become a lawyer. Most lawyers are extremely unhappy. They become lawyers because they don't know what to do in life and then they spend the rest of their lives being miserable. Quit the paralegal job right now. Since you don't need the money, get an internship or low paying job in some field where you might have some possible interest - music, arts, magazine, whatever. Take this time to try different things. But obviously you are wasting your time working at a law firm.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love being a lawyer. I had a great job in private practice, where I worked for over six years, and now I have a great job in-house. A person can be very happy being a lawyer. However, PP, I don't think it's right for you, and I don't think you're right for it.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you need to do something in fashion, like Jerry Seinfeld's ex-girlfriend...what is her name?

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rashonna?

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

something like that

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you could maybe be the next Cojo?

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you're gregarious, that is.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're too fat to be a lawyer.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one could possibly like being a lawyer unless they are an anal retentive fucknut.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one could possibly like being a lawyer unless they are an anal retentive fucknut.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One would think that Ole would STOP posting his comments after we all turned on him. Are you ever a SLOW learner, Ole!

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's Shoshanna, her swimsuits are awsome.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Courting Couture said...

do not go to law school. everyone there is ugly and wears ugly shoes. ick.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home